Whether you are a new player or a seasoned online casino user, you are certainly familiar with roulette. However, this roulette guide will show you what you need to know to choose the best casino to play roulette online.
Spin Casino, Ruby Fortune, Jackpot City and many more online casinos provide facilities to play roulette. We love roulette, and as you might have already noticed, the online casino “gurus” also prefer this game, simply because it’s one of the few games which have a very low house edge, and offer nearly 50-50% chances to win on different bet options.
We don’t want to bore you with the history of roulette, you only have to know that it has been around for a long time, and it was among the first casino games to be implemented into computer games, and later into online casinos. There are three versions of roulette, two comes from Europe, and one from the US.
- American Roulette: this is a version, where the house has a higher edge because there are two “green” areas. There are a simple and a double zero, which lowers your chances. We recommend that you play this version only for fun – in case you aim for winning, you should check the other two versions.
- European Roulette: the favourite roulette version of the gurus. If you play European roulette and place your bets on black/red, even/odd, or range (1-18 or 19-36) you have nearly 50% chance of winning. In most online roulette strategies, they tell you to play European roulette, bet on a colour and do the Martingale method: if you lose stay on that colour and double the bets until you win. This way, you can win back what you lost, and the basic bet (e.g. $1 if that’s the minimum).
- French Roulette: the French version is basically the same as the European, but the table’s layout is different, and there are extra rules. For example, if you bet even-money on one of the outside bets (e.g. colour), and the ball lands in the 0 pocket, you can take advantage of the “en prison” or the “le partage”. With the first rule in effect, you can receive 50% of your bet, or it can be “imprisoned”, meaning that you need to wait for another spin: if your bet wins the next spin, you get it back, but without any earnings. When the “le partage” is called, you can get back 50% of your bet, and surrender the other half to the house. No extra spin is needed.
- Special roulette: there are special versions of online roulette, called multi-wheel roulette, where you can bet all the same, but during the game, you have to watch several wheels.
The rules are simple: you have to place your bet and predict where the ball will drop. When all bets are made, the dealer (or AI) drops the ball, and you have to wait until it lands. If you win, you get back your bet and depending on the type of bet, your roulette winnings. This game is very simple, the only things you have to learn are the bet types, the pay-out rates, and of course, it doesn’t hurt to know the chances.
Online Roulette Bet Types
There are two major types of bets: inside and outside. In an online roulette game, you can see the betting options on your monitor, and use your mouse to move the chips to the desired area. Let’s take a look at the bet types:
- Straight bet: in this case, you place your chips on a number. The pay-out is pretty good, 35 to 1, but the chances of winning are in favour of the house. We and most of the online roulette strategies are advised against betting on a single number.
- Split: in this case, you enhance your chances by betting on two number. You have to move your bet chips to the line between the two number you bet at. This bet pays 17 to 1, and though the chances are better, the house still has a better edge.
- Street: in this roulette bet, you bet on three numbers in the same row. You need to place the chips at the line located at the end of the row. You can earn 11 to 1 in pay-outs, the chances are getting better, but the house still has a significant edge over you.
- Corner: the pay-out for the corner is 8 to 1, but it offers some good chances because you can place your bet on four numbers. Place the chips on the spot where the four numbers’ line meets.
- Line: you can bet up to six numbers with a line bet. Place the chips where the two rows meet. There is a low, 5 to one pay-out, and you have pretty good chances… but, the house can still win in most cases.
- Column: you can cover 1/3 of the possible numbers with a single bet. The pay-out is only 2:1 but the house has a much lower edge, which makes this a better betting option.
- Dozens: another bet type which covers 1/3 of the numbers. The same pay-out is offered, and the chances are the same too.
- Odd/Even: with placing your bet on Odd or Even, you cover about 49% of the numbers (zero is neither odd or even). You can only double your money with the 1:1 pay-out, but at least the house has only about 1-2% edge.
- Colours: this also covers almost half of the numbers, it has the same chances and pay-out like the Odd/Even bets.
Online Roulette and the Bonuses
There is one thing we have to tell you about the roulette in the online casinos: it’s usually not really good for bonuses. You can use the bonus money to play roulette.
However, if you want to unlock the extra money and the winnings, you shouldn’t play roulette.
The top online casinos exclude roulette from the wagering requirements, or it contributes only at a 5-0% rate.
If you are a Jackpot City player you can contact the Jackpot City Banking team for details of bonuses playing roulette.
There are three outcomes a round of roulette can end in: you can win, in which case you get back your bet and the extra money based on the type of bet you played (e.g. if you played $1 on red, and it wins, you get $1+$1, because the pay-out is 1:1); you can lose, in which case you lose the bet and have to bet again for the next spin (if you continue of course). The third outcome is when the ball lands in the 0 pocket. In this case, you usually lose, but the French roulette has the above-mentioned extra rules which you can benefit from.
What to Play? Live or Computer Roulette?
Even though it is a little slower than the RNG game, live roulette is much more exciting. You must wait before the dealer says “no more bets,” and since there is actual physics, you must wait for the ball to stop. If you want to make some extra money by playing roulette online, we recommend that you go for the live dealer rooms: they are completely genuine! Don’t get us wrong: RNG-based online roulette is also fair and true. If you don’t believe us, look at the eCogra records at the top casinos! By the way, live dealer games are our personal favourites, and we are certain that you will enjoy them as well.
Bottom Line on Online Roulette
You should try your hand at roulette once in a while. Fortunately, you can play it for free at any casino, and while you’re at it, you may want to experiment with various strategies. Online roulette is also available for mobile devices, and it is available in instant play browser casinos, so Mac users can enjoy roulette as well!