Poker and online poker are very popular, even though large countries like the US made some moves against them. In New Zealand, players like to play the classic poker (you know, the one with actual cards), while video poker is even more popular.
When it comes to online poker, there are many options to choose from, however, there are three basic choices you can pick the most suitable from:
- You can play online poker in an actual online poker room, where you can take part in tournaments for real money, playing against actual players.
- You can find video poker games in almost every online casino. If that’s the kind of excitement is what you seek, you should check our top-rated NZ online casinos.
- Nearly every online casino like Jackpot City Casino has live dealer poker, usually stud or Hold’em versions. These are played against the house, and an actual dealer handles the cards.
Playing Poker Online – The Rules Don’t Change!
As you will find out, playing online poker is the same as playing it in a smoke-filled room, with some whisky on the table too. At least, the rules are the same. The ultimate goal is to have the best hand possible, usually from five cards. As a reminder, here are the hands in descending order (from the highest to lowest):
- Royal Flush is when the player has a straight hand with the highest value cards of the same suit: 10, J, Q, K, A.
- Straight Flush is when the player has a straight hand of the same suit, e.g.: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 of hearts
- Four of a kind is when the player has four cards of the same value, e.g. 3, 3, 3, 3
- Full house is when the player has three cards of one value, and two another, e.g.: 3, 3, 3 and Q, Q.
- Flush is when the player has five cards from the same suit, like only hearts, or only spades.
- Straight is when the player has cards which can be set up in an order, independently from their suit, e.g.: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
- Three of a kind is when the player has three of the same value, e.g. A, A, A
- Two pairs hand is when the player has two cards of the same value (and he has it twice), e.g. A, A, 10, 10, 2 is a two pairs hand.
- One pair is when the players have one pair of cards of the same value, e.g. 5, 5.
- Empty hand is worth nothing basically, but if the opponent has an empty hand too, the player with the highest value card wins.
Playing Poker in Online Casinos
If you are not interested in playing poker in a hardcore way, you should check what your favourite Kiwi online casino has to offer. In order to satisfy your needs, the online casinos usually feature three of the popular poker versions: the stud, the Hold’em and video poker. Let’s take a look at these.
- Casino- or Texas Hold’em: this type of poker game is featured in all of the top casinos. This poker version is featured in the recent 007 movies too. It goes like this: the players are dealt two so-called pocket cards (facing down). Then, there are five down-facing cards dealt with the middle of the table. When this is done, the players take a round of making bets, then the first three cards from the middle get turned face up. Then, there are two rounds of betting, and the remaining two cards in the flop get turned face up (they call the fourth card the turn, the fifth is the river). The main goal of a Hold’em game is to build the strongest hand possible using any of the five flop cards, and the down-facing cards of the player.
- Stud: it’s close to the Hold’em cards, though it’ a bit simpler. Each player receives five to seven cards (depending on the game version), some of these cards are facing up, some are facing down. There are several rounds of betting, which is a good chance to bluff the other players. When you play in stud in an online casino, you play against a dealer in most cases. They know the rules, and they are quite good in this game, so you have to learn to play before you go play for real money.
- Video Poker: the video pokers are among the most favoured casino games. Back in the early days, the video poker machines were really popular among casino visitors. Nowadays, you don’t have to stand in line, or wait for that old hag to go away! You just have to log in to your favorite casino, go the video poker section and pick a game you would like to play. In most of the online casinos, we list for NZ players, you can even try out the video poker games for free. The online video poker machines are all provided by the same casino software providers which make the other games, so it’s certain that you get the best and most fair gaming from the casino you are at.
FAQ: Is online poker legit?
Yes, it is. As a player from New Zealand, you can play poker in every casino which offers this kind of game, and which isn’t operated from New Zealand.
Can I play online poker for free?
Yes, there are usually free-to-play versions of different video pokers. In case you wish to play against the machine for free, you can also locate several computer games of poker. There are apps for poker games for Android and iOS too, though the online casinos usually cover pokies and other casino games in their app.
Are there any poker strategies or hacks?
Well, there are no hacks, but you can learn to play poker properly. Quite interestingly, there are books and series offering poker strategies, tutorials and lessons. To ensure that you can play poker and also win, you should choose the type of game that suits you the best, and master it.
Poker is one of the most played casino games. With the newest technologies, you don’t have to leave your home to play against real people, and this makes it more interesting. Also, you can play this game for fun, and for real money too… and you can participate in tournaments to win big money. Poker has to be learned, but in the process, you will learn and earn much more! Pick one of the best casinos and play live dealer poker!
|Casino||Rating||Welcome Bonus||Payout %||Play Now|